VOLUNTEER MEDICAL PROGRAMME
The Medical Programme in Ghana works within rural Ghanaian communities. This project aims to help smaller Ghanaian communities which are deprived of access to basic healthcare and medicine. In the major cities of Ghana, such as Accra, medical care is fairly good and accessible relative to other African nations. However, once you leave the major cities, the standard drops considerably and there is a real shortage of trained medical professionals to work in these communities and provide basic healthcare services.
Volunteers on the Medical Programme in Ghana are placed in small rural clinics where they work closely with the local staff. Some Medical volunteers also have the opportunity to be placed within our Childcare project, where they visit the various children’s homes we work with, providing medical care and guidance to those in need. It is important to note that the facilities and resources on this project are extremely limited and provide a much different working environment to what most Medical volunteers have experienced before.
Volunteers on the Medical Project in Ghana must be qualified medical professionals or have completed at least two years of medical training and provide a copy of their medical qualifications, or a letter and transcript from their school to be provided to staff in Ghana on arrival. Midwives are also able to work within one of our rural clinics on this project.
VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME INFORMATION
Pick-up and drop off from Accra (Kotoka International Airport), transport to the project area in Senya-Beraku
Training and introductions will be made upon arrival. You will be shown around and your volunteer programme explained.
You will be provided with authentic local meals three times a day. There will be purified drinking water and clean accommodation with all the usual utilities included.
You will be guided through every step of your volunteer programme. You will be assigned a member of staff to answer any pre-trip questions and a member of the Ghanian team will support you throughout your volunteer programme. You will have a comprehensive pre-departure debriefing and a send-off gathering.
The Ghana Volunteer Programme starts from **£250 per week**
Where does my Volunteer Investment fee go?
We have established the Arms Around the Child volunteer abroad programme to raise important funds and offer life changing work experience to volunteers hoping to gain valuable hands on experience. Because of this, the fee has been set to offer a regular and sustainable income to or project in Ghana, and 80% of the fee will be sent directly to them. They will then use this money to pay for hosting the volunteers, providing the accommodation for your stay, and their running costs. The additional 20% is kept back to develop the volunteer abroad programme and to recruit new volunteers to feed into the sustainable charity cycle.
Do I require a visa to travel to the country I wish to volunteer in?
Yes, but every situation is different and visa requirements are dependent on the country you are traveling to and your nationality. You can contact a member of the Volunteer Invest team to provide guidance on where to find the information you require, or contact your nearest embassy for the country you are traveling to.
Which vaccinations will I require?
The vaccinations you require will depend on which vaccinations you have had previously, and the country that you are traveling to. We advise all of our volunteers to talk to their GP/Doctor ahead of their trip. To travel to Ghana, you will definitely need Yellow Fever as standard.
How much money do you think I will need to bring for the month? How much do you think food, travel etc. cost?
Food and accommodation are included. We advise taking multi-vitamins and some packaged food like protein bars, nuts etc etc
We advise budgeting for $50 per week for optional extras like day trips and treats.
What do volunteers do incase of emergency?
Call the volunteer in-country representative instantly. There are local numbers on the wall of the volunteer house and we provide these directly to you before you leave for your trip. You will also receive an essential volunteer information pack before you leave.
What about Internet?
Sim cards for your cell/mobile phones should be bought at the airport or on arrival into Senya. The Internet is available for Whatsapp but runs out quickly. The cost is around 40c for 2-3 weeks depending on use.
Is there anything specific you think I need to bring other than basic necessities? Does Ghana have any particular clothing policy? Is there anything I shouldn’t bring for security reasons or is the house fairly secure?
The volunteer house is very secure. We advise volunteers to take some long sleeves and light weight trousers. You should get a mosquito net. Ghana is a very hot country; insect repellant and sun cream are advised.
Suggested Packing List
Plug adaptor (from UK 3 pin)
Sun screen / After sun
Fruit mix / water squash
If I have any further questions, who should I ask?
Volunteer Invest is here to help guide you through any questions or concerns you have, before, during and after your trip. So keep asking, and we will keep replying. You will also have on the ground support during your programme in Ghana
How are volunteers trained?
During your stay, you will be given orienteering and training with the staff on the ground. These are people who have been dedicated and working with the projects for a considerable time
What is the volunteer application and acceptance process?
We assess each application separately, looking at their reasons and motivations. We are approaching graduates because of the nature of the Ghana project. We don’t want to decide for people, only giving them the core information and allowing them to decide if it’s right for them. We aren’t a big company we are a small charity looking to build a sustainable model in the charity sector and offer reliable income for the Arms Around the Child projects on the ground in India, Ghana and South Africa. We will keep our size small to stay personable at all times. We want to build a community of like-minded people, who want to gain and give in different ways.
How do I pay for my Volunteer Programme?
Many of our volunteers fundraise for their fees. Imagine you are going on holiday and have to pay for accommodation, food, transport and airport travel. This is all included in your volunteer fee. We also include the donation for the Ghana project. Our fees are set so the Ghanaian organisation don’t lose money-hosting volunteers; rather gain valuable experience, support and investment to their work.
You can set up an online fundraising page and encourage your network of friends and family to support your ambitions to volunteer. Many volunteers do fun activities to raise money and awareness. We can help you with ideas. We believe that fundraising is a really important skill to learn and your investment into the work really is life-changing for them and the whole experience will be life changing for you.
Read more here: http://www.volunteerinvest.org/i-pay-volunteer/
What are the programme outcomes for the volunteer and partner organisations?
The volunteers will gain valuable hands-on, real-life experience working with vulnerable children in a challenging environment. They will experience the inside workings of a busy charity on the ground, saving lives of children. They will gain valuable perspective on different cultures and customs.
Many volunteers gain practical experience relating to their chosen university studies or career focus. We have noticed a growing number of volunteers applying as part of their university studies.
For the organisation, they gain a stable income to support their work and running costs. Our Ghana project organisation gain a huge amount from international volunteers sharing their education, skills and ideas.
How do they maintain a relationship with the organisation upon return?
Many of the volunteers have such a life changing experience that they want to help share their stories, which we put on our blog, and send out to out networks via email. We believe the experience will be so powerful that word of mouth will enhance the volunteer numbers. An organic growth process is our aim. We are dealing with some challenging issues and the over-riding charity Arms Around the Child ensure that updates and projects are continually occurring.
Do returned volunteers recruit new volunteers?
This isn’t intentional, but it happens. We don’t force anything onto our volunteers. If they want to tell their story, and share then of course we will support this. But it’s not an aim, more of a coincidence. The nature of the programme means that we do have repeat volunteers and referrals. We love expanding the community of like-minded people.
How are you supporting volunteers whilst onsite?
We have volunteer coordinators at all sites and we are in constant communication with them while they are there. We know the teams on the ground very well and they too give us regular updates. We are here to help guide the whole process, from early engagement, during, and after.
Do you have a volunteer alumni network?
We are building one, and we have some beautiful write-ups from them on our TESTIMONIAL page on the blog http://www.volunteerinvest.org/blog/. You can also keep in touch with past volunteers on our social media platforms.
Ghana is a beautiful place to explore, we recommend;
Cape Coast Castle
Kakum National Park
Mole National Park
Passports and visas (if required)
Healthcare/travel insurance – All volunteers must have full medical insurance for the duration of their visit as well as vaccinations necessary for the country/area to be visited.
Police check (enhanced DBS)
Flights to and from your chosen country
Travel costs to and from airport or origin
There booking conditions form an important part of the contract for your volunteer abroad programme so please read them carefully before confirming that you agree to them. All programmes advertised on our website are provided by Volunteer Invest or as agents for receiving partner, and are sold subject to the following conditions
Booking & Fees
- Programme Fees
- The deposit and total fee for the Volunteer Investment Programme (referred to as ‘VOLUNTEER INVEST ’) shall be as published on the Volunteer Invest website – www.volunteerinvest.or
- All prices are accurate at the date published, but we VOLUNTEER INVEST reserve the right to change any of those prices. Prices on our website are updated regularly. Before you make a booking VOLUNTEER INVEST will give you the up-to-date price of your chosen programme including the cost of any peak-season supplements, upgrades or additional facilities that you have requested
- Your fees will be payable by way of a deposit and programme fee as follows:
Volunteer Investment Programme
- A deposit is due upon acceptance of your application and upon receiving your 1st invoice, by VOLUNTEER INVEST, onto your selected programme.
A first payment for the deposit of £250 is required to confirm your place on the volunteer programme
The second instalment of the programme fee balance is due:
- 60 days prior to your date of departure.
- You must be 18 years old or over and possess the legal capacity and authority to make the booking and accept these booking conditions. If you are currently under 18 years old you will be required to have a parent/guardian sign a copy of this agreement.
- If VOLUNTEER INVEST as the agent for our receiving partner accepts your booking we will confirm and then a contract will exist with us as agent for a disclosed principal.
- It is imperative that you advise us at the time of booking of any condition, medical or otherwise, that might affect your or other people’s enjoyment of the trip.
- You must be completely honest with VOLUNTEER INVEST throughout the application process and all information contained on any form completed must be accurate. Any false, deceptive or withheld information on your application or documentation, or any behaviour deemed by VOLUNTEER INVEST as inappropriate or prejudicial, during, or after, your acceptance to a VOLUNTEER INVEST programme may be grounds for immediate cancellation from the programme with, or without, refund of fees, all at the absolute discretion of VOLUNTEER INVEST .
- Unless otherwise specified on www.armsaroundthechild.org the advertised Programmes do NOT include any air travel. It is your responsibility to purchase your own flights.
- A booking is accepted on the strict understanding that;
- You undertake to comply with the laws, customs, foreign exchange, drug and all other regulations of any
- You comply with your chosen programme’s rules and behaviour guidelines, which are intended to ensure your safety and enjoyment of the programme. You will be advised of any specific programme rules either in your pre-departure information, or during your orientation. If you commit any illegal act when on the programme or if in the reasonable opinion of the leader your behaviour is disruptive, threatening or abusive or is causing or likely to cause danger, distress or annoyance to others we may terminate your participation on the programme without any liability on our part.
Application & Documents
For your application to be complete you must complete and submit the online application form and the necessary documents, within the required timeframes, as outlined below.
You are required to fully complete the VOLUNTEER INVEST online application form and upload a photograph of yourself.
You are required to submit to VOLUNTEER INVEST a copy of the picture page of your current, valid passport. It is your responsibility to check the passport requirements for the country to which you are travelling to ensure your passport is valid.
You are required to return and sign the relevant documentation included in your Welcome Pack.
Please disclose any medial conditions that may affect your participation in the programme.
You must have valid travel insurance before travel and provide VOLUNTEER INVEST with a copy no later than 30 days prior to your departure date
You must provide VOLUNTEER INVEST with a copy of your confirmed flight itinerary no later than 10 days prior to your departure date and you agree to advise us of any changes that may be made to your arrival details at the earliest possible opportunity.
Programme Specific Documents:
You may have to submit additional documentation such as, visa documentation, certifications or qualifications, CV/resume and references. You will be given specific timeframes for submission of each.
VOLUNTEER INVEST reserve the right to postpone or withdraw your application if you have not completed and/or submitted all the necessary documents within the required time frames.
Health & Travel Insurance
It is your responsibility to ensure, at least one months prior to travel, that you obtain proper and detailed medical advice for the latest health requirements, recommendations for your destination and any costs. Where you do not do so and either are not allowed to enter any country, or suffer personal injury or death as a result, we have no liability to you for any cost, loss, or damage which you suffer, nor will we refund you the cost of any unused portion of your travel arrangements or VOLUNTEER INVEST programme fees.
You are required to make VOLUNTEER INVEST aware of any pre-existing medical conditions and you may be required to submit an additional letter from your doctor.
It is your responsibility to advise VOLUNTEER INVEST of any special dietary requirements.
If you are a pregnant woman, or have recently visited other countries you should check requirements with your general practitioner.
You must insure yourself against any possible risk that may occur and in particular to ensure that you have sufficient insurance in respect of expenses, injury, illness, death, repatriation, cancellation and curtailment and dependent relatives. You are required to carry proof of insurance with you and produce it if reasonably requested by our employees or suppliers. You should ensure that there are no exclusion clauses that limit cover for the type of activities included in your programme.
Visas, Passport & Travel
Whilst VOLUNTEER INVEST are able to provide basic advice to you regarding passports, visa or travel requirements, you should check with the appropriate Embassy, Consulate, British Foreign Office and/or airline for the exact requirements for your chosen programme and date of travel
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct passport and visas to gain access to any country/region included in your travel arrangements. If you are travelling overland to certain destinations you may need to also pass through controls of other countries en-route so this should be allowed for with any passport/visa applications. If you fail to do so, VOLUNTEER INVEST have no liability to you for any cost, fines, loss or damage that you suffer, nor will we refund you the cost of any unused portion of your travel arrangements.
Should your chosen programme require a visa, VOLUNTEER INVEST is not in control of the processing time or success of your visa application. If your visa is delayed, thus affecting your ability to travel or meet your programme requirements, or if your visa application is denied/rejected, your application will be cancelled and the charges contained within the “Booking Amendments, Cancellations and Refunds” section will apply.
In some cases, countries will refuse entry to clients who have criminal records. Should you be concerned about this, please check with the embassy or consulate of the countries to which you are travelling.
When assessing whether tours or expeditions will operate we use information from our receiving partner in conjunction with advice from the British Foreign Office and other relevant government bodies. It is your responsibility to acquaint yourself with the travel advice provided by these government bodies.
Should you arrive outside the agreed start date/time for your programme, or do not advise of your correct arrival details, you may have to cover any additional costs.
Please be aware that any accommodation, food and facilities that you will be provided with will be of a local standard and these may differ to the standard you are accustomed to. You may be required to share a bathroom and/or bedroom.
You are expected to satisfy yourself prior to booking that you are fit and able to complete the itinerary of your chosen programme as described. If you suffer from mobility impairment, illness or disability or undergoing treatment for any physical or medical condition you must declare the true nature of such condition at the time of booking and make arrangements for the provision of any medication or other treatment which may be required during the programme.
We are agent for receiving partners in each of the destinations that we offer programmes. They are responsible for offering you in-country support while you are on your programme. Full contact details of the receiving partner will be given to you prior to departure. In country partners are responsible for your orientation and they are there for any emergency support and emergency issues and to resolve any such issues you may have regarding your programme. If you have any problems or complaints during your programme you must inform our receiving partners and the relevant supplier of the service immediately.
Booking Amendments, Cancellations and Refunds
If you change your booking more than 4 weeks prior to departure:
- VOLUNTEER INVEST will charge £100 to facilitate the change if a change can be made.
- A further deposit may be payable as well as additional programme costs if your new amended itinerary is more expensive than the one you originally booked.
If you cancel your booking after payment of the deposit has been made (changes to your booking within 4 weeks of departure will be treated as a cancellation of the original booking) OR VOLUNTEER INVEST withdraws your application due to non-compliance with any of the terms and conditions contained in this agreement, then charges and conditions are as follows:
Volunteer Investment Programme
More than 30 days before departure: deposit is non-refundable
Within 14 days of departure: total programme fee is non-refundable
Any refund issued, regardless of the circumstances under which is it being issued, will incur a 5% transaction fee
If your booking is changed or cancelled
In the event that our local operator chooses to do so, VOLUNTEER INVEST reserve the right to cancel your booking or change any of the facilities, services or prices described in our brochures or website. VOLUNTEER INVEST will endeavour to advise you of any changes known at the time of booking. VOLUNTEER INVEST also reserves the right to switch receiving partner.
Our receiving partner and VOLUNTEER INVEST as agents for the receiving partners plan the arrangements for your programme many months in advance and may occasionally have to make changes, most of which are minor.
If a major change becomes necessary, VOLUNTEER INVEST will advise you of the change as soon as possible. Whether a change is ‘major’ depends on the nature of the trip and may include a change in the type of programme or the country of destination for reasons beyond our control.
Compensation will not be payable if VOLUNTEER INVEST are forced to cancel, or in any way change your trip for reasons of consolidation due to minimum numbers not being attained or force majeure. Operation of all trips may be dependent on a minimum number of persons booking the trip. If that number is not achieved, VOLUNTEER INVEST reserves the right to cancel the trip. Circumstances amounting to “force majeure” include any event which VOLUNTEER INVEST or the supplier of the service(s) in question could not foresee or forestall such as (by way of example and not by way of limitation) war, threat of war, riot, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, acts of God, adverse weather conditions, and all similar events.
When a major change occurs prior to departure, you will have the choice of either accepting the change, or accepting a replacement trip from us of equivalent or closely similar standard and price, or cancelling your programme, in which case VOLUNTEER INVEST shall refund you in full less an administration charge of £50 per person on the booking.
VOLUNTEER INVEST strongly recommend that you make no travel arrangements to your point of departure, arrange any connecting travel that is non-refundable or non-changeable or incurs penalties or incur any costs in respect of visas or vaccinations until such time as your travel itinerary has been confirmed.
VOLUNTEER INVEST strongly recommends that you take out insurance that includes cover against irrecoverable cancellation costs.
If your programme fees include insurance, you will remain responsible for the full amount of your insurance premium and this will not be refunded in the event of your cancellation. You may however be able to transfer this cover to another programme
VOLUNTEER INVEST reserves the right to withdraw your application, without refund, if unable to make contact with you at the contact details provided; if you are late with any paperwork or payments; or in any other circumstances where VOLUNTEER INVEST is unable to obtain required information from you.
Our Liability, Conditions of Carriage and Limitations
- Our obligations, and those of our receiving partners providing any service or facility included in your programme, are to take reasonable skill and care to arrange for the provision of such services and facilities. You must show that reasonable skill and care has not been used if you wish to make any claim. Standards of, for example, safety, hygiene and quality vary throughout the transport and destinations that your programme may involve. Sometimes these standards will be lower than those that would be expected in the UK. The services and facilities included in your programme will be deemed to be provided with reasonable skill and care if they comply with any local regulations that apply.
- Our liability, except in cases involving death, shall be limited to at most the cost of your travel arrangements. In any event if less than this our liability in all cases will be limited in accordance with and/or in an identical manner to the contractual terms of the companies that provide the transportation and/or programmes for your travel arrangements. These terms are incorporated into this contract; and any relevant international convention. VOLUNTEER INVEST are to be regarded as having all benefit of any limitation of compensation contained in these or any conventions.
- VOLUNTEER INVEST shall have no liability where the cause of the failure to provide, or failure in, your programme or any death or personal injury you may suffer is not due to any fault on our part or that of our agents or suppliers or receiving partner, because it is either attributable to you, or attributable to someone unconnected with your programme and is unforeseeable or unavoidable, or is due to unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, or an event which neither VOLUNTEER INVEST , nor our agents or suppliers could have foreseen or forestalled.
- If you purchase any optional activities that are not part of your pre-booked itinerary, the contract for the provision of that activity will be between you and the activity provider. The decision to partake in any such activity is entirely at your own discretion and risk. If you do have any complaint about, or problem with, any optional activity purchased in resort your claim should be directed to the activity provider and not to us. In the event of there being a successful claim for costs against a third party or a suitable insurance policy or policies being in force, VOLUNTEER INVEST are entitled to recoup from you the costs actually incurred by us in giving any assistance.
- VOLUNTEER INVEST may operate programmes in regions where standards of accommodation, transport, safety, hygiene, medical facilities and other infrastructure may, at times, be lower than those you normally expect. Your booking is accepted on the understanding that you realise the hazards involved in this kind of programme, including injury, disease, loss or damage to property, inconvenience and discomfort. The whole philosophy of this type of travel is one that allows alternatives and a substantial degree of on-trip flexibility. Changes in itinerary may be caused by events such as (by way of example and not by way of limitation) local political conditions, flight cancellations, mechanical breakdown, weather, border restrictions, sickness, or other unforeseeable circumstances.
- You consent to your image and any comments, photos and videos uploaded to our website being used for marketing purposes.
- We will have the right to terminate this agreement in the event that you breach any of your obligations and termination will result in the loss by you of all monies paid and also render you liable for potential damages arising from that breach.
- We shall be entitled to assign the benefit or part of this Agreement to any third party, but shall remain primarily liable for the obligations hereunder.
- Nothing in this Agreement shall constitute you as our agent.
- Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to constitute a partnership or joint venture between us.
- You agree and accept that we are not providing you with any service that could be construed us as an employment agency or running an employment business. You agree that all payments to us are as agent and all fees we earn are paid by our receiving partner.
- The parties believe that VAT is not chargeable on any monies changing hands hereunder. In the event that for whatever reason this is not the case then you agree to pay VAT on all sums previously paid and authorise us to debit your credit card with this amount.
- This Agreement together with all documents referred to herein constitute the entire understanding between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements in regard thereto.
- This Agreement cannot be amended, superseded, cancelled or any of its terms and conditions waived except by an agreement in writing signed by authorised representatives of both parties or in the case of a waiver signed by an authorised representative of the party waiving compliance and specifically referring to this Agreement.
- If any of the provisions of this Agreement are or become to any extent or in any circumstances invalid or are ruled illegal or deemed unenforceable for any reason under the current applicable law from time to time, then to the extent or in those circumstances it is the intention of the parties that this shall not affect the validity or enforceability of this Agreement or of any of the provisions of this Agreement and if such provision would be valid if some part of the provision were deleted or modified, the provision in question shall apply with such deletion or modification as may be necessary to make it valid provided that the operation of this clause would not negate any commercial intent and the purpose of the parties under this Agreement.
- This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and you submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts in relation to all disputes relating to the Agreement. We submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in relation to all disputes relating to this Agreement and shall be entitled to commence proceedings against you in such other jurisdictions as are appropriate.
- Any notice to be given under this Agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed duly given if signed by or on behalf of a duly authorised officer of the party giving the notice and if sent by first class post or delivered by hand or sent by facsimile transmission to the address of the recipient as may be notified from time to time. Any such notice or other communication shall be deemed to be given:
- by post on the day (not being a Sunday or public holiday) falling 48 hours after the date of posting;
- if served by hand at the time the same was handed to or left at the address of the party to be served; and
- in the case of a facsimile transmission at the time of transmission, and in providing service of the same it will be sufficient to prove in the case of a letter that such letter was properly stamped, franked, addressed and placed in the post and in the case of a by-hand delivery that such letter was delivered to the proper address and in the case of a facsimile transmission that such facsimile was duly transmitted to a facsimile number notified to the other party for this purpose.
- You agree to abide by all lawful rules and regulations of our local operator and the location you visit and to fully indemnify and hold us completely harmless from and against any liability, obligation, loss and expenses including court costs and legal fees incurred by us or a third party resulting from any injury, loss, property damage or expenses that you directly or indirectly cause or to which you contribute.